Sunday, June 10, 2012

Trust

Anyway you look at it, the world is in a bleak situation. We are facing a potential 15 years of blame pointing and financial stagnation unless someone can diagnose the problem and suggest a way forward.

I would like to suggest that the problem is trust. We do not have the ability to trust what is being said by a bank, multinational organisation, anyone. Until we can establish basic accountability self interest is going to rule and the system is going to go into a steep downward spiral.

At the moment I don't have a solution but I would welcome any comments that you have ...

2 comments:

MorningAJ said...

Unfortunately a lot of organisations and institutions have proved themselves untrustworthy. (And politicians - but that sort of goes without saying.)

Disrespect breeds disrespect. Time was, if I had a complaint to make to a company, I could phone up and get a result. These days I just get a 'take it or leave it' attitude from some kid in a call centre who is so far removed from the centre of power that they can't help, even if they want to.

Let's start by teaching call centre staff to say "I'm sorry. I'll try to help" and meaning it.

(I might suggest that you could do your bit by switching off the comment moderation and the 'prove you're not a robot' word verification. Or don't you trust your readers, either?)

Rod White said...

Hehe,

Yes, I trust all you readers, the people I don't trust are the people who want to sell hotels in Thailand and other such things.

I suppose trust is a difficult issue and it would be difficult to have trust in everything we said but when did this problem start - did we ever have trust, or is it as Darwin said - ignorance breeds confidence.

Your wish is my command, I have turned off the robot verification :)