Saturday, September 27, 2008

I Praise

As many of you know I am a huge fan of the 1950s blue and white Pelican books. So how could I resist 'Why Evil?' by John James - a Pelican published 1960? Whilst browsing in Bookends in Bangor I found this book and it looks like it could be a remarkable read.

Not least because on page 15 there is the following poem by Rilke:

Oh speak, poet, what do you do?

---I praise

But the monstrosities and the murderous days,

How do you endure them, how do you take them?

---I praise

But the anonymous, the nameless grays,

How poet, do you still invoke them?

---I praise

What right have you, in all displays,

in very mask, to be genuine?

---I praise

And that the stillness and the turbulent sprays

know you like star and storm?

---since I praise

- Translated by John J. L. Mood


No comments: