Thursday, June 29, 2006

Future echoes in the dark - Review

Although it pains me to say it, I have to be critical of ‘Future echoes in the dark’. I haven’t been able to finish the book, the writing style is quite poor and I am spoilt by having such ease of reading for most books, useful, unuseful trash or treasure.

It’s unfair I know but most of the literary establishment is unfair. Reviews in mainstream papers are usually based on number of pages, other reviews and when the author last bought the reviewer a pint.

Rob I don’t want to be too harsh but I want to be as honest and hopefully try not to make this as painful as it already is for me. The story is good, inventive, creative but there are some basic errors. Too often the writer is telling us what is happening rather than showing us. This creates the effect that the author is boasting about how brilliant or how evil someone or thing is and I don’t want to be told. In the end I had to stop reading. To be honest most of the books I read I don’t finish them, I have a short attention span and I am a ruthless critic.

To be sure, I haven’t written or tried to write a book. To be sure, I am not a fantasy fan so I don’t really know how you can expect any other reaction from me. I don’t want to patronise you anymore. I appreciate that you sent me a free copy of your book, if there is anything I can do to make up for this dreadful review please tell me. I would be happy to send you a bottle of something. Perhaps you think I am just another reviewer with a lack of patience and a negative attitude, I can assure you I am trying to be fair, I try to write well but sometimes I don’t. I readily confess that I am a hypocrite, that I am lazy, depraved and lacking in taste. I wish you well with this book.

No comments: