Friday, June 30, 2006

Fishers of Men






A while ago I bought 'The authentic Gospel of Jesus' by Geza Vermes. Vermes attempts in this book to state which statements of Jesus he thinks are true. At first I really wasn't convinced, I thought it might be some kind of 'Da Vinci' type book but Vermes makes interesting reading even though I have just started the first few pages.

One thing that struck me was the command of Jesus 'Come with me and I will make you fishers of men'. This has always made sense to me, I never questioned the metaphor or the idea behind it until Vermes with his objective analysis stated that this metaphor is totally barmy. How can you save a fish by catching it or removing it from the water? In the same way how can you save a man by removing him from where he is living. I have now been keeping tropical fish for about six months and it is very difficult keeping them happy, never mind trying to catch them - I want them to stay where they are!

Vermes concludes that this saying is not authentic and has been added through tradition in the early church. I think he makes a good point.

No comments: