Tuesday, May 30, 2006

C. S. Lewis

I remember reading this quote and not being able to find it again almost ten years ago. I was very surprised to find it so easily, on the second page of 'A Grief Observed'. The image here is one I continually think about, especially on those 'rare' cold nights in belfast!
"They say an unhappy man wants distractions - something to take him out of himself. Only as a dog-tired man wants an extra blanket on a cold night; he'd rather lie there shivering than get up and find one. It's easy to see why the lonely become untidy; finally dirty and disgusting."
Another life changing quote from CS Lewis is that 'anyone can speak in jargon, it takes an expert to speak in the vernacular'. Everytime I start to write I remember that quote. This is a CS Lewis quote that I read once on the bus to Hatfield and I have never found again.

No comments: