Thursday, April 13, 2006

Peterson and Updike

I must admit that when it comes to so-called 'Christian' books I am not really that keen. There is something about Eugene Peterson, the fact that he has just published his own translation of the Bible - 'The Message' which I am attracted to and the idea that he is an academic and evangelical. I have bought his two books in his Spiritual Theology series and yes his style is too chummy and nicey-nicey at times so I only read it in little bits. Sometimes it is quite uplifting and interesting. Like this quote from Updike who is commenting on his love of Karl Barth's book 'The Word of God and the Word of Man', it inspires me. He is saying that when he read Barth he learnt:

"that truth is holy, and truth-telling a noble and useful profession; that the reality around us is created and worth celebrating; that men and women are radically imperfect and radically valuable."

(p.8 'Eat this book' by Eugene Peterson)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Eugene Peterson!
I read the Message sometimes and think to myself: This guy really gets it!! The gospel is really as simple as he explains it!

I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music. Its all free for download on my site. Anyway, I just thought that I would share.

Thanks,
-Sean
________________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."