Monday, December 12, 2005

The Price of the ticket and paradox

'The Price of the Ticket' is a quirky, kinky, crazy, chaotic mess of a book. A lot of it just doesn't make any sense. But it's also a cynical, street-smart, barbed, clever, and oftentimes very funny neo-noir farce- which saves it.”

This is taken from a review by Terry D’Auray. This book is one of the strangest most intriguing books I have come across. I went to see Jim Nisbet in Belfast a couple of weeks ago and one of the things that impressed me was his intense focus and love of writing whilst hating the modern so-called-literary scene in USA. A harsh critic of the creative writing culture Jim explained that his books were hated in the USA and loved in France.

I can understand their point of view the writing does appear strange, even trashy at times and at other times quite brilliant with a huge lust for life and wildness. I was also impressed that even though Terry said he didn’t really like the book he did recognise a lot of the characters from San Francisco. This is a plus point for me because I want to know what it is like, not how the media and film industry tells me it is how it is for real.

One of the reasons I haven’t updated this blog is that I can’t really get my head around this book, another reason is I have been extremely busy and reading very few fiction books.

Tonight for the first time in ages I picked up ‘Systematic Theology’ by Tillich. I started to read a wonderful passage on the role of paradox in theology. Paradox is central, in the idea of the incarnation and redemption, it is an idea that transcends our logic. To quote Tillich:

“The acceptance of this paradox is not the acceptance of the absurd, but it is the state of being grasped by the power of that which breaks into our experience from above it. Paradox in religion and theology does not conflict with the principle of logical rationality. Paradox has its logical place.”

(That means I have reached page 64)

No comments: