Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Here we are let me introduce you to our reading and digital photography fieldtrip 2/11/2005. This is what I should be reading (in fact, it isn’t but that is as close as I can get to what I should be reading) - click on these images to see them full size.


So I am reading Christian existentialism, Isabel is reading about diets in ‘Pick me up’ magazine and seems to be very happy about it!

This is what I am reading – my new 3 volume ‘Systematic Theology’ by Paul Tillich. During lunch I learnt a new latin term – ‘theologia irregenitorum’ “theology of the unregenerate", another good name for a heavy metal band.


Can someone explain to me how to get digital photography to work in an aquarium, I had the perfect picture, dark flowing fish cloe up and all I got was blur, well it does look quite nice.


Unless the subjects are absolutely still - like Mr Monkfish and not everyone is so obliging!


Unless you have bright lights and it comes out perfect like this.



But my favourite picture is this enigmatic seal pic with Isabel’s hand. My finger slipped on the settings button for about ten pics and they all came out dark, but I did this one deliberately!


And finally the jaws of a white shark, reminds me of Tillich:

“Fundamentalism fails to make contact with the present situation, not because it speaks from beyond every situation, but because it speaks from a situation of the past. It elevates something finite and transitory to infinite and eternal validity. In this respect fundamentalism has demonic traits. It destroys the humble honesty of the search for truth, it splits the conscience of its thoughtful adherents, and it makes them fanatical because they are forced to suppress elements of truth of which they are dimly aware.”

Of course Tillich refers here to what is known as fundamentalism in America, that is the more orthodox side of religion, what we would call ‘mainstream’ church. The dangers he was talking about seems to have happened in the last forty years and Christianity has now become a minority issue. This is one the things that excites me about Tillich, he wants to be practical and he wants to discuse the problems of Christianity and the current way of living, aka the ‘situation’ we are in.



No comments: