Saturday, October 15, 2005

The whole situation that we have now in Northern Ireland reminds me of something that happened to one of my cats. Let me explain -

A while ago the house I was living in had the front door at the rear of the house. You had to walk down an alley and then you entered the house via the kitchen. In the kitchen door there was a catflap. One day the dog next door decided to chase my cat down the alley. The cat simply ran down the alley and jumped in to the catflap. This left the dog feeling quite confused in the garden looking around wondering where the cat had gone. I found it quite amusing.

Imagine the cat as the bomb - or the use of force. Imagine us as ‘the dog’. We have been chasing the cat and we have been so obsessed that when the cat disappeared we have been left utterly confused not knowing where to go. This represents us at the moment. The war has ‘ended’ but now we don’t know how to continue we have just voted in two parties - DUP and Sinn Fein that hate each others guts and we expect them to rule Northern Ireland somehow, somewhere even though if they were in government they would refuse to talk to each other. This has created a strong sense of despair in the citizens of Northern Ireland because we don’t know what to do - the cat has gone.

NB a cat has nine lives.

This analogy has nothing to do with my nick.

I will leave you with this little gem:

“for our strength in this world is, to be slaves of reason, and our liberty, to be captives of the truth.”
John Henry Newman

No comments: