Sunday, July 03, 2005

Happy Birthday to me!




I indulged myself a little bit ! I got 5 new books and 3 CDs, plus a coffee machine, an MP3 player and some other things!

'All the flowers are dying' by Lawrence Block was my number one priority. I am loving this book, I haven't read Block in a long time but this book has me hooked already. Steinbeck is facing some harsh competition.

I got the following other books:

Rubicon by Tom Holland - supposedly a new hip history of the Roman empire.

The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith - really wanted to get 44 Scotland Street but it was only available in hardback. I am very eager to get an insight into the hype about this guy. I normally prefer my crime fiction hard boiled but I've been increasingly intrigued by the number of philosophical detectives appearing recently.

Comparative Religion by A. C. Bouquet - I am a sucker for a 1950s Pelican in good condition ie I consider myself a collector. Looks interesting.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner by Alan Sillitoe. A classic from the 1960s, one of the eras that I really admire, especially English literature from the time. I started it this morning at 6.00 am. Looks like my sort of thing.

I am listening to the new Foo Fighters CD which is wonderful.

No comments: