Thursday, July 14, 2005

Actually I am still reading and thinking about Newman but I'm going to change the subject today to Alastair McCall Smith and 'The Sunday Philosophy Club'. I really feel like being totally scathing about this book. I am not impressed. It seems to me that the author is a philosopher who wants to encourage ordinary people to read more philosophy so he decides to write a detective novel with a philosopher in it. It doesn't work, for one thing the guy doesn't know how to write, he is much too concerned with telling the writer how brilliant he is in philosophy and what startling ideas the character has about philosophy.

I really wanted this book to be good, so perhaps it will get better. I can see all too clearly what he is trying to do.

I bought a new book today - another Pelican - 'The Wandering Scholars' by Helen Waddell. It is about wandering medieval latin poets. Slightly different! I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

No comments: