Tuesday, April 19, 2005

On a sunny day like this I can’t help thinking about the first few lines of ‘The Last Summer’ by Boris Pasternak: “that last summer when life still appeared to pay heed to individuals, and when it was easier and more natural to love than to hate.” What he is talking about is the summer of 1914 but it still rings true today. I really think this book is one of the finest that I have read and I will have to get busy to read it again. This could be the start of something, I can see myself reading it over and over.

While the car is getting fixed I have been getting the bus and the great thing about the bus is that you can read and ‘drive’. I have been reading ‘Living to tell the tale’ by Marquez on the bus and it is getting better and better. As he grows up you learn how he thinks, how he looks at the world and how people have started to see him as a writer, even when he was still quite young. I am learning that through the eyes of a child the world is a very mysterious place. Marquez has very cleverly looked back and written about the things that happened to him, the way people treated him and you can really get a feel for how his books are the product of his life.

When his Grandfather died, a man he greatly admired, he watched on as they had a ceremonial burning of his Grandfathers uniform. He was a colonel and they had gone through his clothes and gathered all his uniform and hats. They mistakenly took the young Marquez’s Scottish plaid hat and burnt it along with his Grandfathers clothes - and when he saw that he realised that something of himself had been taken when his Grandfather died.

No comments: