Monday, February 28, 2005

Hi all,

I'm having a few computer problems and haven't been able to post anything for a while but I have been reading some very interesting books in particular 'The Shaking of the Foundations' by Paul Tillich. Based on a recommendation by John Updike I was looking for some of his books and I happened to find this book by chance at home.
The theme is really modern man and how he has tried to shake off God but he has not succeeded and has only succeeded in causing destruction. The chapter I was reading today was on 'The depth of existence'.

"But the mark of real depth is its simplicity. If you should say, ' This is too profound for me; I cannot grasp it,' you are self deceptive for you ought to know that nothing of real importance is too profound for anyone. It is not because it is too profound but rather because it is too uncomfortable that you shy away from the truth. Let us not confuse the sophisticated things with the deep things of life. The sophisticated things do not concern us ultimately; and it does not matter whether we understand them or not. But the deep things must concern us always because it matters infinitely whether we are grasped by them or not."

I found this a rather severe warning to those amateur philosophers such as myself who might think that deep things are only for intelligent people. Tillich goes on to explain that many people have gone so deep that not only do they reject God but they lose touch with all sense of goodness. This may be what happened in Germany.

I am also trying to read Patrick White, another Hemingway book, a chess book and a book on the gospel of John.

No comments: