Sunday, October 24, 2004

Sorry that I haven't written anything for a while, my reading habits have been rather crazy and I haven't really had that much time. One thing I would love to do some afternoon is to sit down with a pint of guiness and a good book. I have to drive everywhere so that effectively puts a stop to that.

Let me list some of the things I have been trying to read the past few weeks - Updike, Teilhard de Chardin, Tillich, Mirella Ricciardi, Neruda and of course Daniel Brown.

In reading an article about Pablo Neruda the author mentioned a poem by W. H. Auden - 'September 1st 1939'. I managed to find this poem and read it. I was startled by how this poem could have been written easily in 2001 or even 2004. Imagine this as being spoken to George Bush or Tony Blair ( and then remember it was written in 1939):

"All I have is a voice
To undo the folded lie,
The romantic lie in the brain
Of the sensual man-in-the-street
And the lie of authority
Whose buildings grope the sky:
There is no such thing as the state
And no one exists alone;
Hunger allows no choice
To the citizen or the police;
We must love one another or die."

Auden disowned it, and it is mentioned as an example of bad political poetry but I think it is very powerful, especially the mention of skyscrapers groping the sky.

No comments: