Sunday, August 01, 2004

Last week I started to read a commentary on Genesis by Deitrich Bonhoeffer. It was quite unusual and difficult but it got me thinking that I had always intended to study the Old Testament. I immediately thought of Chris Wright because his books on the Old Testament were brilliant. No matter how routine or mundane you might think the old testament is - such as the laws, he manages to make it sparkle and become fascinating. He has now written two new books - a commentary on Deuteronomy (I haven't read) and a commentary on Exekiel.

Ezekiel is a book mostly ignored. I had a read at it, it was full of bizarre visions and angry rants. I became intrigued and bought the commentary on Ezekiel. I feel sure that it is going to be a fascinating read. If you remember Pulp Fiction, Ezekiel 25:17 is the verse used by Jules, before he kills people:

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

No comments: