Sunday, January 18, 2004

I discovered with dismay last month that the short stories of Graham Greene are difficult to find. After I watched Donnie Darko which featured his story 'The Destructors' I wanted to read it. At Jose's house tonight I was looking through some books and I found the short story collection. I have now read 'The destructors'.

It is difficult to say if there is a connection apart from the fact that the story is used as an example of the anti-intellectualism of the small town community. The film is quite mysterious whilst the story is actually quite clear and direct.

The story is interesting in that it deals with the idea that destoying something is fun. The central character Trevor is quite a dark individual. He suggests to his gang that they destroy the house of an old man. It is just after the war and in one area that house is the only one left standing. This conversation occurs when they are burning the money of the old man:

"You hate him a lot?" Blackie asked.
"Of course I don't hate him," T. said. "There'd be no fun if I hated him." The last burning note illuminated his brooding face. "All this hate and love," he said, "it's soft, it's hooey. There's only things Blackie," and he looked around the room crowded with unfamiliar shadows of half things, broken things, former things. "I'll race you home Blackie," he said.

No comments: