Thursday, October 09, 2003

Unforutnately I am back in Belfast now but it does mean I have more time to explain some of that garbled nonsense I was writing in Lima.

'All Souls Day' is a very interesting book. Although it appears to a very meditative / thoughtful book with very little plot there is something much deeper. I couldn't really put my finger on it in Lima because I only had 15 minutes but it is something like an allegory / parallel. The storyline is that Arthur Daane is quite a lonely figure, a dutch man living in Berlin. He has friends but they find him very mysterious. He meets a young female called Elik who is researching an obscure medieval spanish queen. At the same time as the process of two people testing each other trying to find out each others past his friends are trying to help her to study the process of history, finding secrets about each other and about the events that happened to people in the past.

It starts off with looking at the dutch word for history - geschiedenis ie the study of niches, the study of hiding places.

The style is fascinating in that the narrative voice changes between characters quite frequently. This can be confusing but once you get to grips with it, it becomes enlightening, you even have dead people talking and aliens!

I loved reading this book, I was reading it when I was traveling through the jungle in Peru and it was perfect.

No comments: